Answers to some of your questions today
Q: How long does it take to complete a project?
A: This is based on your need. Some projects need a two or three week lead time. Others, like a novel, may require as much as six to eight months to complete.”
If your deadline is short, indicate your required completion date on my contact form. I’ll let you know immediately if I can meet that deadline.
Q: What are your qualifications as a editor/writer?
A. Because of my extensive background, my primary qualification is the ability to write in your authentic voice. Your readers will recognize themselves, or their life situations in your project.
An editor and ghostwriter must have six key skills to tell a story. In addition to a credible, yet conversational tone, a writer/storyteller must have:
- Polished writing skills.
- An ability to create attention grabbing first lines, or hooks for stories or chapters.
- A thorough knowledge of audience for whom the story is written.
- A talent creating stories relevant to the intended reader.
- Presentation of some conflict and quest by the primary character, even if that person is you.
- Specialization of services and genre.
In addition to my 40+ years writing documents of all kinds, I’ve had 10+ years of experience in creative writing. The two overlap because they use the same, basic skills. Fiction, non-fiction, creative non-fiction, and business books and articles are all stories. Even in non-fiction, creativity is essential to establishing your voice and inspirational perspective.
With a bachelor’s in English literature, a master’s in community counseling, and a doctorate in metaphysics, (alternative health and self-improvement), my entire education and background relate to engaging people. I use the skills I’ve presented here.
Q: What can I expect when working with you?
A. You can expect a friendly and courteous professional dedicated to helping you succeed in your writing venture. You can also expect well-planned, well-written and well-executed documents and manuscripts. All of them will be reader-friendly and designed to achieve your objectives.
You’ll get a process you can follow from beginning to end. The process steps are laid out prior to starting any project, all geared toward meeting your stated objectives. More information on this is located in my Information Packet.
Q: What does it cost to hire you for a project?
A. It’s hard to answer this question without knowing the parameters of your project. What you need may be different than what someone else needs. Examples of possible scopes of your project may be, but are not limited to:
- Coaching – Brainstorming a potential project you have in mind, or providing recommendations to improve something you’ve already written.
- Review of Drafts – A review of a short article, or book you’ve written that also supplies a bullet-point list for revisions and how to approach them.
- Editing – There are two types of editing – simple and heavy.
- Simple Edit – Points out technical errors such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
- Heavy Edit – This includes rewriting and reorganizing ideas, removing repetition, eliminating clumsy wording and repairing convoluted sentence structure. This type of edit will also identify where your story may have gone off track and if your theme is internally consistent.
- Ghostwriting – There are three types of ghosting – light, partial, and full.
- Light – This is for shorter documents such as blog posts, essays, or articles up to 2000 words.
- Partial – This usually involves developing a manuscript that is partially written.
- Full – A full ghostwrite is where I write the manuscript for you setting forth your story or idea.
By taking a customized approach for your project, you can expect me to:
- Recap your vision to demonstrate I heard your concerns and needs.
- Provide an action plan for the specific aspects of your project, including the authentic voice you need for the selected audience.
- Address your expectations regarding time frame and budget.
- Deliver a thoughtful proposal that meets your unique challenges and goals.
At that time, I’ll quote you a price. A Services sheet in my Information Packet provides typical prices for a variety of different projects.
Q: What projects do you specialize in?
A. I specialize in the projects listed below. If you have another project in mind we can discuss your vision and ensure I’m right partner for the job.
- Book reviews
- Books, novels, novellas, short stories, or other manuscript/document (creative and creative non-fiction)
WHAT OTHERS SAY
Holly’s unique ability to really maximize top assets in business is people. She brings a human touch into business and treats every person as an important member of the team.
Most of Holly’s skills are enhanced by her genuine zest for life and this is naturally expressed when she communicates. Whether it’s one-on-one, a small group, or in a large presentation, her enthusiasm helps the audience connect with the message. She draws people in with her energy, and they truly listen to her. She has a special connection to people and I don’t know many who are like her. As a leader, she is serious about results and urgency. Yet in directing teams, she delivers the objectives with the proper urgency necessary without ever demotivating anyone. Her messages are real, but also respectfully honest. This combination motivates teams to want to accomplish results even more.
Holly’s two unique strengths are compassion and organization. Along with these qualities goes the ability to see the big picture – not just “so-and-so needs to change course,” but rather “this option is not a good fit for your ultimate goals because…” Then she voices her rationale. But she doesn’t stop there. She always adds, “Think about shifting your goals to…” and then she provides her suggestions. Many people can see that something isn’t working, but not many people can then see the daily or weekly steps needed to shift into a different direction. She is one of the most determined, forward-thinking writers I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with. She’s not scared of time, energy, or focus. Add in steadfast and reliable and you have an ideal partner in business.
Two things Holly brings to the table are authenticity and transparency. What she says, she means. She loves what she does and it shows in how she acts, communicates and leads. She is persistent in finding what people need in order to do their best. Then she helps them achieve the goals. She is one of the most well respected people in our industry.
Holly builds relationships with people better than anyone else. She has a way of connecting and supporting people. Her strength is definitely building relationships and trust.
Holly has what I call strength of belief. She has strong convictions about the value of information and education. This underlies her ability to focus teams on core values to accomplish things. Her strength of listening and collaboration gives her an edge in her work.
Holly’s attention to detail is very strong. She understands that the details matter and has an ability to use them in a productive way without getting blinded by them.
Holly leads her team(s) with clarity and focus. Her ability to create a plan, tailor it to the specific issues at hand and guide the group to a successful outcome is not only strong for the client but also for a team as it allows them to grow professionally and serve the client at a high level.
I have been working with a few writers and Holly’s quality of work is just so impeccable and the result is so enchanting that I wanted to talk about it in this: Video Testimonial.
She easily took my brief and turned it into an amazing piece that I could share with my clients. Plus she paid closer attention to all deadlines and always delivered way ahead of schedule. I asked her to build 10 blueprints and for every one of them she delivered a state-of-art piece. I totally enjoyed working with Holly and I will work with her again soon.